Category Archives: eMusic/J

Development-related information about eMusic/J

eMusic/J 0.27 released

The first update of eMusic/J in about 4 years has been released. Nothing exciting about it, it just fixes some compatibility issues with newer Java things on Windows and Linux. Download it here.

Thesis Submitted!

I meant to post this here a while back, but kinda forgot to. Anyway, on Monday last week I finally submitted my thesis. The title is “The Impact of Representation on the Evolution of Genetic Algorithms.” Now I just need to sit back and wait until the examiners get it, mark it, and probably send… Read More »

eMusic/J 0.25 released

First update in a while, just fixes to various things. Overhauled the filename cleaning stuff, hopefully finally fixing issues on windows. — found more filenames that windows dies on, so this deals with them. Hopefully that’s the last of them. If the option ‘spacesToUnderscore’ is ‘true’ then spaces will be converted to underscores in filenames.… Read More »

eMusic/J 0.24 released

This is a pretty small one, mostly just to fix a problem some people were having. Changelog: Truncate the pathname to save files to if it gets too long on windows (which has stupidly low limits) Some classical albums have really long names, and there were some that couldn’t be downloaded as a result. This… Read More »

eMusic/J 0.23 released

I’ve just put out eMusic/J 0.23. The main reason for getting this out there is that there is a bugfix for a problem that occurs in a certain (rare) circumstance. Here’s a list of the changes: Allow multiple tracks to be selected This means you can shift-click or control-click to perform operations on multiple tracks.… Read More »

eMusic/J 0.22 released

They’re coming thick and fast now, I’ve just released a new version of eMusic/J. Here are the changes: Added quotes around $@ in launch script to make it work better with some temp file names. If your browser stores files in a location with a space in the path, eMusic/J probably would have had issues… Read More »

eMusic/J 0.21 released

After a hiatus of about a year, I finally made a new release of eMusic/J. This was mostly caused by the change in the file format that eMusic provides for downloading albums. This version is (internally) quite different to the old one, as it is set up to make it easy to produce customised versions,… Read More »

eMusic/J for Windows, OSX

Just recently, eMusic updated their download manager to one based on XULRunner, to the outcries of many people on the forums. So I took the work I did for Naxos a while back, and built Windows and Mac OSX versions of my formerly-Linux-only eMusic/J download manager. I’ve had feedback on the Windows version saying that… Read More »

Getting OpenDoc events on Mac OS X with SWT

I currently am doing some spare-time work for Naxos (the music label), customising my Java-based, open-source downloader, eMusic/J, to work with their Classicsonline download service. This means taking what was a Linux-only application and making it work on Windows and Mac OS X also. Getting the Linux version was obviously easy, I’d already done… Read More »

eMusic/J 0.20 – fix for a weird Sun decision

I’ve just put out an 0.20 release of eMusic/J. This fixes an issue that appears only on some JVMs (in this case, it seems to be Blackdown) where System.getenv(String) isn’t supported. However, it doesn’t fail gracefully, no…it throws an Error (not just an Exception even). See these Sun bug reports for details. I think that… Read More »